Saturday, August 16, 2008

I finally understand exactly why I felt so threatened by my parents' exclusive appreciation of classical and baroque music. I cannot say I honestly thought the brand-new emo/screamo/hardcore music I made a point of listening to was artistically superior. I was rebelling against the idea that the creation of everything beautiful and original was past. People are so sickly nostalgic; not only revering the past, but hating the future. I very much enjoy and have always enjoyed Bach and Beethoven and Mozart. However, I refuse to hold the opinion that greater music will never be written.

1 comment:

emilyclare said...

I am with you Lizzy, I am with you... I think Bach would be appalled if he knew that people listening to his music might refuse to listen to modern music/or try to explore new things. Some of the most talented and humble musicians I have met have been total metalheads. There is no reason why you can't go to a jazz trio, a cello retical and a death metal gig in one week and be equally moved by sound. With a musician boyfriend, a music-teacher for a mum, and a step-dad with the best record collection ever I have been exposed to fair few things over the years and I count myself blessed! Also, I got your letter today; thank you so much. I seeing a letter waiting for me on my bed. I shall reply soon!