Sunday, July 20, 2008

Acmeism

I've been reading a bit about Acmeism in poetry. I don't have a perfect understanding of it yet, and doubtless I will discover tenets of it that I disagree with, but as far as my knowledge reaches now, I consider myself an Acmeist.

'Acme' is a Greek word meaning "the best age of man". Acmeists are obviously rather humanistic, as opposed to Symbolists, who are the literary equivalent of mystics. I especially dislike the preoccupation and reverence devoted to "the muse" in Symbolist poems. The muse does not exist. Humans write poems for other humans. Poetry does not exist on a higher spiritual plane, and it is certainly not dictated by the gods. Poets seem to like thinking of themselves as mere secretaries, but I find this despicable. Why hide your talent behind nonsense about your immortal Muse?

Every half-baked word I write costs me work and worry. When I write something almost-good it is solely by my own efforts. I am not afraid to say so.

No comments: