Wednesday, July 2, 2008

story

I've started writing my first long story ["long" here meaning more than a page and a half] in about two years. I am about half way through the very rough draft. I can't wait to start re-writing. Rough drafts are the creative equivalent of stacking firewood, in my books - both literally and figuratively. In fact, stacking wood is more satisfying. When you're finished stacking wood you have a neat pile of fuel that will probably last you all winter. When you're finished a rough draft, you have weeks or months of work still ahead of you. Also fireplace fuel, I suppose. But it's more like kindling. While we're exploring double meanings and bad metaphores, it's even like kindling for your story.

The story is about crows. It will hopefully be one hundred times more elegantly written than this post.

No comments: